What is an accelerometer?An instrument that measures the acceleration of the body along three directions and that allows you to characterise different behavioural patterns
- Detailed temporal profile of the individual activity;
- Categories of movement: walking, running, flying, swimming, floating, diving, resting, eating, etc..
Why use an accelerometer?
- When there is a need to characterize the individual activity and the time budgets of an animal
- When animals are freely moving (in lab or in the field)
- When size is critical
What can you get from the accelerometer?
- Very small size, only 9.5x15x4mm
- Very light instrument, only 0.7g without battery
- 2Gb memory size, up to 30 days of continuous recording at 25Hz!!
- Customizable frequencies and g ranges
- Easy to program via software interface data cable
- Very low consumption
- Magnetic switch to more reliably switch it on and off
- 17-100 mAh Li-Po rechargeable battery
- FTDI USB data cable